Getting back that mojo
Hi TNQD :) Hope everything is going well. I go to a school where people don’t really study and they just party. (Not to be mean) but its just I can’t find any motivation at all at that school. Each day I try to study and I try to get my grades up. But I have no hope anymore. I used to want to go to medical school so badly, but my grades have dropped and my GPA dropped so low. I just lost hope and I don’t know what to do anymore. I’ve lost motivation too.
Well anon, I have good news and bad news. First the bad news: you can’t blame your school or peers for a lack of motivation. What happens when you are a doctor? Will you blame your sickly patients for not motivating you? I know this sounds harsh but you have to realize motivation comes from within. Why does it matter what others are doing?
I know the feeling of being disheartened by your peers; in fact there is probably going to be a post about that soon. But being disappointed by their study habits does not excuse me from mine. Now for some good news.
There are lots of rules I have learned over the years. Rules for success if you will. One of the best ones is to always surround yourself with models of success. Your mind will absorb habits, language and a plethora of information from what you surround it with. By the sounds of it you seem to be in a big party school that has a dearth of success models. Luckily, this rule doesn’t just apply to physical people.
I have spent years finding doctors to look up to and admire. Ever heard of Faith Fitzgerald? She is a doc at UC Davis. She has written several pieces for the Annals of Internal Med that have really inspired me (here is one of the few pieces Annals will let you read for free, but you may have access to others through your school). If that isn’t enough watch her genius at work here as she stands on stage at the NIH grand rounds and gets grilled with what doctors thought were the toughest of cases.
I have never met Dr. Fitzgerald but I know her writing inspires me. Another inspiring doctor is Ben Carson who literally pulled himself out of inner city Detroit to become one of the most prominent neuro surgeons in the country. Or check out Abraham Verghese, a doctor who is trying to bring the physical exam back into modern medicine. I could go on for several more pages about the people I have never met but have had a huge impact on my work ethic, belief system and overall self motivation.
Just because you don’t have a lot of success models at your school doesn’t mean you can’t find people to look up to. I would also imagine there are people at your school who feel the same as you. Seek them out. Search for them in the libraries and coffee shops. If you have a keen eye you will see the people who are putting in the work. I met some of my best friends by spending all my time in the library and coffee shop. You see them enough, eventually say hi and viola, instant study buddy.
You can do this, but first you have to remember you are responsible for yourself. If you want to do well then do it, regardless of what ever social norms your immediate peer group has. I promise if you do the work now, it will pay immensely later.
Best of luck,
51 Notes/ Hide
- easternvagabond likes this
- heartbeats-and-rainstorms likes this
- chibiemperorintj reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- chicken-and-rice likes this
- mymusinglife likes this
- jerrysee likes this
- shapesofglory likes this
- oceanoon likes this
- fuegomyeggo likes this
- starlightwhirl likes this
- chibiemperorintj likes this
- gunjeet28 likes this
- cahleeyimyim reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- endlessstories likes this
- 2dreamalittlebigger likes this
- cranquis likes this
- scillathoang reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- scillathoang likes this
- just--keep-walking likes this
- onecupchai likes this
- pleasedotheneedful said: Agreed. They might be influenced by their environment but they put themself in it… I know the feeling.
- elaboratelysubtle reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor and added:
- pioneeraxon likes this
- ridiculousg likes this
- frivolousfindings likes this
- xxpandapanda likes this
- goodxgreat likes this
- adriontap likes this
- sharmandershar likes this
- thelittlelaundryroom likes this
- septembertwelfth likes this
- brownsugarnutmeg reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor and added:
- pomegranatesandkampinoes likes this
- mixedmediums likes this
- tifatifa likes this
- fabulousqueerys likes this
- cleverandwicked likes this
- douyo likes this
- mistressofsurgery reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- mistressofsurgery likes this
- becomingestel likes this
- labourgeotte reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- show-a-little-faith likes this
- pre-medstuff reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor and added:
- thekingoflegoland likes this
- ah-thenah likes this
- mhh778 reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- becomingpresent likes this
- tupacdied4oursins likes this
- julieisahusky likes this