The lonely truth
The last few days have seemed a bit lonely to me. They have been filled with great things. In fact, just two days ago I was in the state capitol at a senate hearing. Two days before that I was at a formal for the my county’s medical association (1 of 8 med students allowed to go). But it all has felt dull because I don’t have anyone to share the excitement with.
There is T, but I don’t see her face to face much. It has been cut back to once a block (every 8 weeks) because of school and money. We talk on the phone, but our schedules never seem to line up. I call her when she is busy and she calls me when I am busy. Our conversations have also become decidedly different. There is less talk of when our futures come together and more discussions involving the word “if.”
I have friends at the med school, but mostly we study. I really miss my friends from home who could always pull me out of a studying fog to have a bit of fun. It has been slow going meeting people outside of medical school.
I feel so lucky to be here and I know I shouldn’t complain. I absolutely love medicine. But some days I can’t help but think of all that I gave up to come here.
36 Notes/ Hide
- thepoisoneddart likes this
- thesingingskylark likes this
- southernstitches reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor and added:
- asplashofserendipity likes this
- ladadidah likes this
- maryastar likes this
- lilmissprettymd likes this
- cafestorymimi likes this
- currentlydisappearing said: Everyday I wonder “How much more do I have to sacrifice to get there?”
- currentlydisappearing likes this
- thekingoflegoland likes this
- mrspediatricpa likes this
- violetdagrinder likes this
- sidratimes likes this
- infinite-embers-new-septembers likes this
- passion-for-medicine said: Try having an online calendar with T so she knows your schedule and you know hers, then hopefully they’ll be some free time together?
- ecstatically-astounded likes this
- passion-for-medicine likes this
- sterilegauze said: Nursing school makes you feel the same way, sometimes / : Good vibes your way!
- iamdinosaurrawr likes this
- geeksaurusrex said: (continued) the heavy lifting is over.
- descantforhope said: It’s a lonely business. Hang in there.
- appledidntfallfar said: Hang in there. I’m in the same boat. Try to really be in the moment when you do get a chance with colleagues and public events. And as far as T, that will work itself out the way it’s supposed to.
- digiti-minimi said: *hug* Tumblr’s always here!
- pleasedotheneedful likes this
- pleasedotheneedful said: It is, quite sadly, part of the sacrifice people are often forced to make in the pursuit of medicine. It sucks. I feel this way sometimes and I’m not even a student yet, but I guess that means it won’t be a shock?
- berniee7211 said: You’re discussions solidify my reasons for pursuing mid-level health care.
- mini-doctor said: I’ve been going through a very similar crisis. It’s frightening how much we have to give up even at a very early stage in medicine — do you get to call/Skype old friends? I usually set aside 2-3 hours a week, and it’s definitely helped my sanity.
- mini-doctor likes this
- thenotquitedoctor posted this