All my friends are moving on. I am reminded of the scene in the sandlot where the narrator begins explaining how they all grew up, where they went and what they did with their lives. Then one by one they disappear from view. Obviously I left first, as my friends are wont to remind me, but their distances and lives are spanning much further than mine. Some are getting married and starting families. Some are starting jobs in places all over the US. And some are just traveling. I on the other hand feel stuck.
There are a few times in my life that I wish I could travel back to at will. The summer after my senior year, for example. I worked at a movie theater during the day and traveled to allegedly haunted sites all over the the state by night. It was one of the most fun and carefree summers I have ever had. Then there is the first house I lived in after moving out from my parent’s. Three other guys and I had parties galore. Then there is my last year of undergrad where I met people who have become some of the best friends I could ever ask for.
As summer approaches I long for adventures like I used to have. I very irrationally fear that I won’t ever have adventures like those again. The midnight drives to a mysterious destination. The Saturday night potluck. The party we never expected to have. The last minute road trip to the Warped Tour.
My even more irrational fear is losing all of my old friends, who are now busy starting their lives.
Medical school has been one of the greatest things I have ever undertaken, and I am so glad to be here. But I never realized how fast I would have to grow up. Or how isolated I would feel from my friends. Or how little time I would have to make new ones.
But summer is fast approaching, and with it will come some free time.
I am hoping this will be an adventurous summer.
26 Notes/ Hide
- driftingshark likes this
- bydemialvarado likes this
- frazzledprincess likes this
- almosthappiness likes this
- sexnham likes this
- lets-take-this-chance reblogged this from peoplecallmefishy
- mseyre likes this
- goku-s likes this
- impossibleesoull likes this
- thelearningcurves likes this
- thepoisoneddart said: I feel you, friend. Half of my friends moved to a different state and all of them are going to be done with undergrad in the next year. I have two more years left because I’m a triple major. I’m not where you’re at, of course, but I feel you. :)
- thepoisoneddart likes this
- riveroftangledstring reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor and added:
- peoplecallmefishy reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- passion-for-medicine likes this
- unspokenhiddenoutofsight likes this
- juliefacesreallife likes this
- with-peace likes this
- lilmissprettymd likes this
- lilmissprettymd reblogged this from thenotquitedoctor
- chanceuse-et-heureuse likes this
- cyanide-poisoning likes this
- thenotquitedoctor posted this